Eric Auer has been following the FreeDOS 1.0 TODO list, and recently sent this email suggestion:
Hi, thanks for sending the MS DOS 6.22 "table of contents" (packaging list). I think it shows a few places where either Steve could mention more details in his evolve.txt (which tells which DOS parts were introduced when by MS / DR / PC DOS) or where FreeDOS could / should be improved.
Also interesting for Aitors TODO list.
Here is my pick from your list:
append, dblspace, display? driver (expand) fastopen graphics, interlnk/intersvr, mem, mode, nlsfunc, power, qbasic, ramdrive, scandisk, share, vfintd.386, wina20.386, chkstate, dblspace, defrag, emm386, loadfix, memmaker, monoumb.386, mscdex?, msd, (mwbackup), print?, replace,setver, sizer, smartdrv, smartmon, msav?, msbackup, (mwav)/(mwavtsr), (mwundel), undelete, unformat, vsave?
In the "?" cases, the use is either questionable (MSAV...) or I have the impression that FreeDOS already supports enough of it. In the "()" cases and for *.386, we are talking of Windows awareness and compatibility - I wonder how much of those OLDER, also Windows compatible, MS DOS versions had. Sorry, I forgot the ) after mwbackup.
All the other cases are either not yet mentioned by Steves list or missing or alpha in FreeDOS. Not that I would think that we really can have drive compression (dblspace) soon or that cloning the suite of memmaker, loadfix, sizer would be important. So what else?
- APPEND: todo.
- DRIVER: todo.
- FASTOPEN: probably todo.
- GRAPHICS: needs improvement.
- INTERLNK/INTERSVR: todo!?
- MEM: /C missing.
- MODE: does it need improvement?
- NLSFUNC: probably needs improvement.
- POWER: people say ours is crap.
- QBASIC: BW Basic should at least do GW Basic.
- RAMDRIVE: compatibility issues.
- SCANDISK: ours is alpha/beta.
- SHARE: compatibility issues.
- DEFRAG: ours is alpha/beta.
- EMM386: we have no VCPI in it (but if you have Windows, you can use MS EMM386 anyway. MS even has is on FTP).
- MSCDX: shsucdx might be incomplete.
- MSD: we have different tools. Todo?
- REPLACE: is ours okay?
- SETVER: we should write that *soon*.
- SMARTDRV: write and CD ROM cache lacking.
- SMARTMON: not really important.
- MSBACKUP: we are not compatible, neither is MS .
- UNDELETE: needs easy UI.
- UNFORMAT: ours may need improvement.
Aitor, could you add this to your list and / or forward to the list for discussion?