Eric Auer uncovered this store of information about hard disks. Useful for anyone working on a DOS program require low-level access to the hard drive.
Hi, a tester reports that FreeDOS FORMAT 0.91o only reaches 400k/s (maybe 800k/s with UDMA) for the hard disk surface scan and wiping. I think I cannot make that as fast as some other tools like MaxLLF, which just wipe the disk with max. UDMA speed (can be 10s of MB/sec!) and assume correct sectors if the write does not return an error (question: Does write to a broken harddisk sector always return an error? Then I could leave out the read part of the surface scan to gain speed...).
I link the 6 vendors directly:
- (http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm) IBM / Hitachi HGST
- (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/utils.html) Seagate
- (http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/index.htm) Maxtor
- (http://www.fel.fujitsu.com/home/drivers.asp?L=en&CID=1) Fujitsu
- (http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/index.htm) Samsung
- (http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp) Western Digital